Friday, December 23, 2011

Music Review

For my music review, I picked an album/artist/genre of music that is relatively new to me. Created in the late 1990’s, dubstep became a genre that has become popular over the years. Dubstep is an electric dance genre that is based on the 2-garage sound. Dubstep uses a combination of drums, bass drops, rewinds, and MCs to make sounds that are used in various songs, rhythms, and instrumentals. There are many artists that create their own dubstep beats/sounds, but one that is well known is Skrillrex.

Skrillrex, or Sonny John Moore began his career in an American band, but later released dubstep tracks/albums. He became famous for his works recently and was nominated for 5 Grammy Awards in 2011. His most famous album is called Scary Monsters and Nice Spirites.

So for my review, I chose to review the album Scary Monsters and Nice Spirites by Skrillrex.


When I hear “dubstep”, I immediately think of Skrillrex. Before listening to some songs on this album, I was not a big fan of dubstep, however after listening to this album, I am hooked. The music makes you want to dance and pumps you up every time you listen to it. This album is perfect for warming up before a sport’s game. Each song on the album is unique in it’s own way and although has some lyrics, are mostly instrumentals. Each song also has a story/meaning behind it, (however I find some very pointless). Although some people do not like this genre of music, the Grammy that this album received for best dance/electronica album of 2011 does it justice.

Some songs on the album:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSeNSzJ2-Jw&ob=av2e Scary Monsters and Nice Spirites

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am SO SO glad someone wrote about Skrillex! I am a huge fan, and Scary Monsters and Nice Spirites is my favorite song at the moment.

    ReplyDelete