Sunday, January 22, 2012

If Tom was our Narrator...

Pg. 130-131 (Conversation/Argument between Tom and Gatsby)
I was a little unsure of where this all was going until Gatsby told me everything. “Your wife doesn’t love you. She’s never loved you. She loves me.” That killed me. A man who I have barely even known accusing my wife of loving him. Then Gatsby cried, “She never loved you, do you hear? She only married you because I was poor and she was tired of waiting for me. It was a terrible mistake, but in her heart she never loved anyone except me.”
I knew something was up ever since I saw their eye contact. But at the same time I didn’t believe it. Daisy has never spent time with him until recently and after all he is a “bootlegger”. Daisy has always loved me and if not, she would have left me after finding about my affairs. But I couldn’t help but to wonder what was going on between them. 
I turned to Daisy and asked her, “Whats been going on? I want to hear all about it.” “Both of us loved each other all the time, old sport, and you didn’t know. I used to laugh sometimes.” she said. “But there was no laughter in his eyes. To think that you didn’t know.” 
At this moment, my heart just dropped. I found myself leaning back on my chair ready to explode. I couldn’t believe what I have just heard. The thought of her loving someone like Gatsby killed me. His whole background is shady and I still don’t know when they could have seen each other.
“You’re crazy!” I shouted. I wanted to leave but at the same time wanted to hear more. I was so furious at them for even making up something as extreme as this. I finally said to Gatsby, “Ill be damned if I see how you got within a mile of her unless you brought the groceries to the back door. But all the rest of that’s a God damned lie. Daisy loved me when she married me and she loves me now.” 
My anger got the best of me because for a split second I didn’t know what to do. The feeling of having someone love someone else hurts. I can’t believe Daisy would do this to me. But I continued to wonder if she truly meant what she said.

No comments:

Post a Comment