Thursday, September 22, 2011

“Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God”

The title says it all. God is angry. We are all sinners. This sermon by Edwards really drew vivid images in my mind. If I were a young Puritan, I would have been pretty scared. I would have thought that even the tiniest wrongdoing would have me surrounded in flames. If I took a cookie before dinner, then I too, would be hanging by a thread over a fiery pit.

The God in the Christian faith is not angry. In fact, he is forgiving. People sin sometimes, but if they ask for forgiveness, they can still go to heaven. In fact, the h___ word is never used during a sermon. People should be good by nature, and not because they are scared into being good. What is considered “good” is by following the word of God.

I feel that perhaps the Puritans thought too much about what others were doing. There probably were a lot of sinners. They probably thought that they outweighed those that were good. They were probably in fear for their own lives because of what others were doing. Perhaps if we consider what is going on with the world today, we should all be afraid of what the future holds. Maybe a few people do need to be scared.

2 comments:

  1. There probably were a lot of sinners in that culture, but maybe they wouldnt care about what would happen to them because they wouldve later found out that nothing would happen to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree at some points and disagree at others. I believe that the Puritans originally began this faith to keep all of their followers under control. If they were scared to do anything illegal, and there was no way out of paying a punishment so much worse, nobody would commit crimes. BOWBOWBOW

    ReplyDelete